This is the back up forum for pregnancyforum.org.uk
This is the back up forum for our main forum www.pregnancyforum.org.uk

We are working on the issues at the moment, you will need to REGISTER here if you haven't done already

Urchin :O)

GBS - so i don't take over another topic :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GBS - so i don't take over another topic :)

Post by mummy-boo on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:41 am

i was told on friday that i am a carrier of GBS - GROUP B STREP.

i'm trying to research all about it online now.
this is what i have found so far,

"GBS colonises up to 30% of adults in the UK, without symptoms or side-effects. However, GBS can also cause infection, most commonly in newborn babies before, during or shortly after birth. GBS can more rarely cause infection in adults (typically women during pregnancy or after birth, the elderly and people with serious underlying medical conditions which impair their immune system).

GBS is not a sexually transmitted disease and treatment of the woman and of her partner does not prevent re-colonisation.

In newborn babies, there are two types of GBS disease: early and late-onset. Roughly 80% of GBS disease is early-onset, occurring in the first 6 days of life and usually apparent at birth. Early-onset GBS disease is normally characterised by the rapid development of breathing problems, associated with blood poisoning. Late-onset disease - which usually presents as GBS meningitis - occurs after the baby is 6 days old and, normally, by age 1 month but, rarely, up to age 3 months. After age 3 months, GBS infection in babies is extremely rare.

GBS is also a recognised cause of preterm delivery, maternal infections, stillbirths and late miscarriages. GBS infections are rare in adults, especially so for men and women who are not pregnant.

Overall, without preventative medicine, GBS infections affect an estimated 1 in every 1,000 babies born in the UK. Each year, based on 700,000 babies born annually in the UK, approximately:

230,000 babies are born to mothers who carry GBS; 88,000 babies (1 in Cool become colonised with GBS; 700 babies develop GBS infections, usually within 24 hours of of birth; and
75 babies (11% of infected babies) die.
Of the survivors of GBS meningitis, up to one half suffer long-term mental and/or physical handicaps, from mild learning disabilities to severe mental retardation, loss of sight, loss of hearing and lung damage (in around 12% of the survivors, the disabilities may be severe). The great majority of survivors of early-onset disease do so with no long-term damage." - www.gbss.co.uk

i know it's a bit morbid but i'm worried about it and considering someone has asked me about it i thought make a topic on it's own.
mummy-boo

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-07-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GBS - so i don't take over another topic :)

Post by NICCI on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:46 am

how do they test 4 it???

NICCI

Female
Number of posts : 29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mummy-boo on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:50 am

when i gave birth to my daughter 3 year sago we were kept in hospital for 2 days for observations as i had caught an infection. when we were discharged to go home i asked what was up with me and they told me that i had GBS and that it was nothing to worry about. so i didn't.
on friday when i saw the midwife she gave me a leaflet and stuck a huge yellow label in my notes saying i need to have drugs when i go into labour, even if i have a c-section. from what i've found so far it's not a problem but becomes a huge problem if i pass it onto 'tiddler'.
mummy-boo

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mummy-boo on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:54 am

how do they test 4 it???

there isn't a reliable test available on the nhs and the one that is routinely done (HVS) will give a false negative up to 50% of the time but a positive is highly reliable.
there is one you could get done privatly for around 20, enrichment culture method (ECM). this test has only been available since may 2003 so some professionals may not know about it.
mummy-boo

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NICCI on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:09 am

i think i might get a test done as i said in the other post i have had 7 urine infections and have never felt right down there Embarassed ...
had a renal scan yesterday to make sure its not my kidneys get results tomorrow, ive never had a clear urine sample its always shown protein and lucosites!!! do u think it would be worth my while payinng 4 a test if so where do i go???

NICCI

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NICCI on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:10 am

i think i might get a test done as i said in the other post i have had 7 urine infections and have never felt right down there Embarassed ...
had a renal scan yesterday to make sure its not my kidneys get results tomorrow, ive never had a clear urine sample its always shown protein and lucosites!!! do u think it would be worth my while payinng 4 a test if so where do i go???

NICCI

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

NICCI

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

NICCI

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mummy-boo on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:12 am

4 posts saying the same thing i'd say you were desperate. the only thing i can suggest is to ask your midwife. have you had any children before?
mummy-boo

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by asd123456 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:36 am

Just out of interest, I had a bleed at around 32 and had swabs taken to check for infection, would they have checked for GBS at this point?
asd123456

Female
Number of posts : 14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by penstraze on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:43 am

My midwife said they wont test for it because you can have it one week and not another, and the tests wernt accurate enough
penstraze

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by First Baby White on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:54 am

I spoke to my midwife and the NHS stopped testing a fair few years ago in favour of the triple test as this seemed the most important. I paid for a private one at 37 weeks which came back negative and cost me 32 which gave me peice of mind but as someone said they arent 100% and you can pick it up at any time so still could develop.
Alex I dont think they would have tested it
First Baby White

Female
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-07-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by asd123456 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:01 am

First Baby White wrote:
Alex I dont think they would have tested it

Ok, thanks. I missed the deadline for getting a kit, hopefully I'll have nothing to worry about. elephant
asd123456

Female
Number of posts : 14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mummy-boo on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:06 am

they found my infection from a swab they took when my waters broke.
the results came back once i had nichola but i was given an antibiotic drip in labour anyways cos i still hadn't gone into labour 24 hours after my waters broke.
they do that as a precaution in that situation.

they might be able to find it from a swab. i'm reading an article at the minute that explains the testing processes of the tests available.
mummy-boo

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by First Baby White on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:11 am

I wouldnt worry Alex, the chances of getting it are very low
First Baby White

Female
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-07-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mummy-boo on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:22 am

i didn't catch it, i carry it.

i didn't have any tests done, i got told that i'm a carrier from what i told the midwife happened when i had my daughter.

i didn't want to get anyone panicked by posting this. i'm really sorry if this has happened.
mummy-boo

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NICCI on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:25 am

sorry for the 4 posts earlier my laptop was bein silly clown
i dont think u have panicked anyone its good to chat to someone who knows what they r talking about.... thanks 4 the info!!!!

u spell ure daughters name the same way i spell mine!!!!!

NICCI

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roxanne080 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:27 pm

i had it with both pregnancies..its nothing to worry about! when i was in labour with holly, they gave me intravenous antibiotics and everything was fine. its very rare to effect baby about 1 in 1000. just make sure you tell midwives and hospital when you arrive and also put it on your birth plan. the only downside is that you cannot have baby in a maternity unit or at home if you want to. i did both my tests at the doctor laboratory and it costed me 33.

roxanne080

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top