This is the back up forum for pregnancyforum.org.uk
This is the back up forum for our main forum www.pregnancyforum.org.uk

We are working on the issues at the moment, you will need to REGISTER here if you haven't done already

Urchin :O)

I refused a sweep on weds!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I refused a sweep on weds!

Post by debstersky on Fri May 22, 2009 3:39 am

Hi, I went to see the consultant on weds and he offered me a sweep. I refused as I thought it was better to give baby a chance to come of his own accord + I've been told its very painful and can make u bleed a lot. I'm in enough pain as it is. The doc was also an arse. I've been booked in for an induction next friday but my midwife has offered to do a sweep on tues, which I think i'll take to try and avoid the induction. I trust my midwife a bit more too.

How bad is a sweep and for how long after r u in pain?
For any1 who knows, is it as bad as a HSG?
also

I've heard 1st babies are usually late, anyone know the average? gettin all different answers on google

Thanks

debstersky

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-05-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I refused a sweep on weds!

Post by nina_ballerina on Fri May 22, 2009 3:51 am

I've had two sweeps now the first one when it was done, I wouldn't say it painful just uncomfortable, but the doc said if it gets painful to tell her to stop. After wasn't painful at at really although I got a few BH which I have never felt before which died down. I had LOADS of show come out after this one.

The second one again whilst being done was just uncomfy (but they do say it depends where your cervix is, luckily mine was central and not back) this one however hurt after it felt like I had been scrapped out with a knife, but I think that was due to have lots lots of show previously, because barely any came out this time however it did have a teensy bit of blood in it.

Hows about looking up on google % of women who end up being induced? I know its frustrating I'm 8 days over now but I have a feeling she'll be here on the 25th! Not sure why.
nina_ballerina

Female
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-02-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by debstersky on Fri May 22, 2009 3:59 am

awww I hope she does come on the 25th, so u won't need to be induced. Them sweeps didn't really do much for u did they and the 2nd one sounds awful. I'm pretty worried bout it. When I had an HSG done they told me that my cervix was the shape of a u-bend and they had to use a tennaculum to wrench it open affraid
The thought of labour don't bother me at all. cant wait! I wanna see my baby Very Happy

debstersky

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nina_ballerina on Fri May 22, 2009 4:05 am

They are good to practice breathing and relaxing and it's over so quickly!
Hopefully your cervix will be getting ready now anyway so that won't be the case, but now I see why your so worried!!
nina_ballerina

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by debstersky on Fri May 22, 2009 4:47 am

Don't think my body realizes it needs to be doin something! I've just found something that says on average first babies are usually 8 days over

debstersky

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by babybee on Fri May 22, 2009 5:36 am

Just want to say that I didn't find a sweep painful, I was in very early labour at the time and it wasn't pleasant but it didn't hurt. My LO was 12 days late and arrived 12 hours before I was due for induction so she was cutting it fine! Lol.

You'll be fine whatever happens hun Smile xxx

babybee

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-07-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey83 on Fri May 22, 2009 7:46 am

Just thought i'd join this hrad as looks like i'll be rquiring a sweep too Evil or Very Mad !! I have been booked in for one next Thurs is Pip still hasn't arrived (although the little monkey best have done by then!!) Can't say i'mlooking forward to it, but i'm willing to give it a try if it means that i can avoid induction too!! As with all things, and as all you ladies have also said, i've heard mixed things about their success....one of my friends needed one in March after her little girl was 8 days late...and within 12 hours she was holding her daughter.... a girlfriend of one of my friends had one last Saturday...their son was born last , after she needed inducing. I guess it depends on how ready your body is...?!

xxx

Honey83

Female
Number of posts : 42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nina_ballerina on Fri May 22, 2009 8:00 am

I feel it's helped me although I don't have my baby it's made me start to feel tightenings and some fairly strong just not painful.

I found somewhere that at 42weeks 1 in 5 women need inducing. It's all down to the release of hormones which gets things started, the poor docs just don't really know how or why they are released there's lots of could be this could be that!?! It's certainly not curry! Although I now think all those old tales are rubbish I've still out of desperation given them a go LOL
nina_ballerina

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey83 on Fri May 22, 2009 8:06 am

nina_ballerina wrote:I feel it's helped me although I don't have my baby it's made me start to feel tightenings and some fairly strong just not painful.

I found somewhere that at 42weeks 1 in 5 women need inducing. It's all down to the release of hormones which gets things started, the poor docs just don't really know how or why they are released there's lots of could be this could be that!?! It's certainly not curry! Although I now think all those old tales are rubbish I've still out of desperation given them a go LOL

So have i!! (and im not even as overdue as you, bless you!!) I was even debating the castor oil route at one point, but think i've decided against that now!!

My OH kindly sent me a mesage before, as someone has just told him prunes help...his words were 'get on it!'...i hate prunes!!! Plus i dont think he realises what a weird concoction of foods my poor body has recently endures, hot curries, chillis, pineapples (although nowhere near enough!!), reaspberry tea...and now prunes?! Rolling Eyes

I hope none of us get to 42 weeks though ladies!!

xxx

Honey83

Female
Number of posts : 42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgey on Sat May 23, 2009 5:23 am

I got to 42weeks exactly as most of you know! I had 2sweeps and they were both just slightly uncomfortable, not painful at all and I was fine afterwards too, just slightly crampy. They didnt work at all for me though sadly. I was induced at 12days over and Maia was finally born by emergency c section 14days over! Id try the sweep though, they're not that bad and in my experience the induction was awful and everything went wrong so Id try anything to avoid it next time!

mudgey

Female
Number of posts : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top