This is the back up forum for pregnancyforum.org.uk
This is the back up forum for our main forum www.pregnancyforum.org.uk

We are working on the issues at the moment, you will need to REGISTER here if you haven't done already

Urchin :O)

Peanut allergy - update

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Peanut allergy - update

Post by *star* on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:30 am

Well I took Oliver to the Dr this morning about this potential peanut allergy he has.
The dr thinks that it is an allergy, and although at the moment it didn't cause any swelling or anything like that, it doesn't mean that in the future he wont have a bad reaction to them.

So, all she basically said was to avoid anything that contained nuts. Peanut butter, choc spead, marzipan etc etc etc. We need to try and get food for him that doesn't contain nuts, but he can have food that 'may contain nuts' but she would rather we didn't as more exposure etc could make it worse.

She didn't mention anything about allergy testing. She said the blotches on his face were ezcema, but then didn't say if it was cause by the peanuts.

I'm not really sure tbh, I guess were just going to cut out all nuts produce and try to avoid the things that say 'may contain nuts'. I may leave it a while and then ask if we can be referred to allergy testing. I need to know if he is allergic or not. She never said one way or the other, just said that we need to avoid nuts...
*star*

Female
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Peanut allergy - update

Post by Sherlock on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:33 am

Sad

Hopefully you can have allergy testing done in the future. I think you can buy a little handbook of nut free packaged foods also. Maybe not, but I recall something about it a while back.

Just curious, were you one of those who took Gov advice and avoided peanuts etc during your pregnancy? Or did you still eat them in things like peanut butter or on their own?

Sherlock

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-07-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs_Jay on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:34 am

thats seems silly that they wont check it for sure, coz you could be avoiding them for nothing. id defently ask about allergy testing. coz if she says the blotches were ezcema then how does she know hes allergic to something? :S

Mrs_Jay

Female
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-07-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by *star* on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:49 am

Well, tbh I dont really eat peanuts or nuts a whole lot anyway. I may have had a couple of packets of salted peanuts whilst pregnant with him, but definitly no more than that. And I don't remember having peanut butter either. (im not actually a big nut fan)

I think it's the fact that the 'ezcema' flared up badly right after having peanut butter, twice now. I may look into private testing. Afaik, i think it's just a blood draw, so if the dr isn't keen on referring me, then i may pay for it myself for my own piece of mind!
*star*

Female
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2008-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jools221181 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:29 pm

Aww poor baby. Crying or Very sad Doesn't sound like she was very clear with you. Brody's eczema flares up really bad if he has too much orange but he's not allergic to oranges if that makes sense?
If it will give you peace of mind I would try to get the allergy tests done.
jools221181

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-07-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by trixipaws on Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:13 pm

my boyf has peanut allergy AND had exzema as a child, so iv gotta be careful with melissa already but im used to buying non-bio detergent and checking food labels for nuts. let me warn u, EVERYTHING says *may* contain nuts- i think they hav to put that as a disclaimer in case a nut accidentally dropped in at the factory or summink i dont kno but everything says it! i would get the tests done- im not trying melissa with any nuts at all until she's had a definitive negative allergy test done. hope he's ok! x x x
trixipaws

Female
Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2008-07-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top